Herman Cain Stumbles On Libya Questions


Huffington Post
November 14, 2011

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain struggled to answer a question about U.S. foreign policy toward Libya in an interview with theMilwaukee Journal-Sentinel editorial board Monday.
"Okay, Libya," said Cain, glancing up. "President Obama supported the uprising, correct? President Obama called for the removal of [Muammar] Gaddafi. Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing before I say, 'Yes, I agreed. No, I didn't agree,'" said Cain.
"I do not agree with the way he handled it for the following reason," Cain started, before cutting himself off. "Nope, that's a different one." Cain shifted in his chair, adjusted his jacket and looked up again.
"I got all this stuff twirling around in my head," he added.
Cain repeated he would have "assessed the [Libyan] opposition differently," speaking in generalities about his problem-solving approach.
Cain raised broader questions about the nature of the Libyan opposition. "It's not a clear yes-no answer, because all of those things I think should have been assessed, that's what I'm saying."
"And you don't think they were assessed?" asked an editorial board member.
"I don't know that they were or were not assessed. I didn't see reports of that assessment," Cain responded.

No comments: